DotA vs HoN
This guide is mainly written for people who played the popular Warcraft 3 map Defense of the Ancients (DotA) for a while, got familiar with it and now made the transition to Heroes of Newerth (HoN). It will note most of the HoN items and heroes which have an equivalent in DotA, as well as new features of the game.
This guide is not meant for people who are completely new to HoN and DotA.
 Starting out
 Options and Controls
The first thing you will see when you start the game is the login screen. At this moment it is required to be logged in to be able to play a game as local games are not yet supported in the beta version.
Take some time to configure all the options in the Game Options menu, especially the Controls and Interface menus. A feature that a lot of people have been missing in DotA is the ability to set your own keybinds, like binding the usage of an item in your inventory to a special mouse button (which was not directly possible in Warcraft 3).
An important option from the Interface menu is the Always Show Health Bars option.
 Game Lobby
If you click the Play Online button from the Main Menu, the Game Lobby will pop up, with the HoN chat screen and Friends list docked at the bottom of the screen. You can view a list of available games by clicking the Game List button. You can apply filters to the current view by selection options on the left hand of this panel.
Most DotA players will immediately notice the Type and game options that are indicated by icons in the games list. HoN currently supports five gametypes which are well known from DotA:
- Normal mode (AP)
- Single Draft (SD)
- Random Draft (RD)
- Banning Draft (BD) (this is similar to Captains Draft in DotA)
- Banning Pick (BP)
And the various game options:
- All Heroes: enables both Legion and Hellbourne to pick heroes from both factions.
- Random Hero: picks a random hero for all players (like the AR game mode).
- No Leavers: if this option is enabled, you can't join if your leaver percentage is too high.
- Auto Balance Teams: automatically shuffles all players in the game lobby when the game starts, to balance the chances of victory for both factions.
The game lobby works much the same as DotA. When you join a game, you can select a slot and switch teams as you like. The host can shuffle teams and lock players on a slot (those players will not be shuffled).
Picking a hero is always done in the same way: The Legion players are aligned to the left, the Hellbourne to the right and in the middle is the grid with selectable heroes. The number of heroes you can select varies per game mode (AP/RD/BD/SD). If you hover your mouse over the heroes you will see a description of their stats and skills.
Selecting a random hero is done by clicking the dice icon at the top of the screen, this will also give you 250 extra starting gold in AP mode (does NOT give extra gold in SD/RD/BD modes). Repicking and swapping can be done before clicking ready or timer expiration.
- Repicking allows you to put your chosen hero back into the pool of available heros and pick a new one. This is accomplished by clicking the tiny arrow above your hero portrait, and costs 350 gold.
- Swapping allows you to swap heros with another player on your team. It is accomplished by clicking the arrow icon next to the hero portrait of who you want to swap with. If someone else has already offered to swap with you, their portrait will have gold arrows circling it, clicking on it will swap with them.)
 Game interface
- Personal stats are indicated in the top left corner:
- Hero portrait
- HP bar
- Mana bar
- Buffs and active effects
- Teammates are displayed under the hero's portrait
- Game statistics are displayed in the center top of the screen:
- Stats of your hero on the left: Kills / Deaths / Assists
- Your creep stats on the right: Kills / Denies
- Elapsed game time in the center.
- Kills of both factions (Legion / Hellbourne) on the bottom.
- The regular DotA scoreboard can be viewed by clicking Scores in the top right corner of the screen, as well as a smaller version that only displays hero levels.
- The HUD on the bottom of the screen is mostly the same as in DotA:
- The purple bar around the hero portrait indicates the experience progress on the current level.
- When you level up, a small button will pop-up above each one of your skills (and a plus icon for stats on the left) and you click one of these. These buttons may toggled on and off by clicking the up arrow to the right of the hero level or by pressing 'L' key (by default).
 Ported Heroes
|Andromeda||Shendelzare Silkwood the Vengeful Spirit||(Skill 2) Damage type changed from HP removal to Magic (triggers 'On Damaged' effects)|
|Blood Hunter||Strygwyr the Bloodseeker||(Skill 2) Applies a debuff on heroes on attack; Heroes killed with debuff heal Blood Hunter, regardless of who dealt the killing blow|
|Chronos||Darkterror the Faceless Void||(Skill 1) Also deals Magic damage
Skill 4) Boosted ult does not stun allies, slows instead
|Corrupted Disciple||Razor the Lightning Revenant||(Skill 4) No boosted ult effect|
|Flint Beastwood||Kardel Sharpeye the Dwarven Sniper||(Skill 1) Applies DoT on initial hit; instant damage to towers|
|Magebane||Magina the Anti-Mage||(Skill 2) On use, grants Magic Armor to self and nearby allies
(Skill 3) New skill: Master of the Mantra
|Moon Queen||Luna the Moon Rider||(Skill 2) Orb effects (Exclusive Modifiers) are applied on bounce|
|Night Hound||Rikimaru the Stealth Assassin||-|
|Sand Wraith||Mercurial the Spectre||(Skill 3) Returned damage is Magic; not split between heroes; damage does not decay based on distance
(Skill 4) Illusions do not expire upon teleporting
|Slither||Lesale Deathbringer the Venomancer||(Skill 2) Also reduces Health Regeneration
(Skill 3) Uses charges
|Soulstealer||Nevermore the Shadow Fiend||-|
|Swiftblade||Yurnero the Juggernaut||(Skill 1) Not Disarmed at level 4, but has slower attack speed
(Skill 2) New skill: Counter Attack
|Valkyrie||Mirana Nightshade, Priestess of the Moon||-|
|Wildsoul||Syllabear the Lone Druid||-|
|Blacksmith||Aggron Stonebreaker the Ogre Magi||(Skill 2) Also reduces Magic Armor
(Skill 3) Also improves Cast Speed
|Bubbles||Puck The Faerie Dragon||(Skill 1) Faster projectile; Same max distance|
|Defiler||Krobelus the Death Prophet||-|
|Demented Shaman||Dazzle the Shadow Priest||(Skill 2) New skill: Unbreakable|
|Doctor Repulsor||Raijin Thunderkeg the Storm Spirit||-|
|Glacius||Rylai the Crystal Maiden||(Skill 2) Can freeze allies, reducing damage taken|
|Ophelia||Chen the Holy Knight||(Skill 2) Damage is not randomized; Deals Magic damage
(Skill 3) Uses charges
|Plague Rider||Kel'Thuzad the Lich||-|
|Pollywog Priest||Rhasta the Shadow Shaman||(Skill 1) No cap on targeted enemies
(Skill 4) Boosted ult spawns 11 wards; no damage increase
|Pyromancer||Lina Inverse the Slayer||(Skill 3) Attacks and spells apply a stackable DoT|
|Soul Reaper||Rotund'jere the Necrolyte||-|
|Succubus||Atropos, the Bane Elemental||(Skill 4) No boosted ult effect|
|Tempest||Darchrow the Enigma||-|
|Thunderbringer||Zeus the Lord of Olympia||-|
|Torturer||Leshrac the Malicious, Tormented Soul||(Skill 2) Deals physical damage; same overall damage
(Skill 3) New skill: Agonizing Bonds
|Vindicator||Nortrom the Silencer||-|
|Voodoo Jester||Vol'Jin the Witch Doctor||(Skill 2) New skill: Mojo|
|Witch Slayer||Lion the Demon Witch||-|
|Wretched Hag||Akasha the Queen of Pain||(Skill 3) Affects not visible units
(Skill 4) Also applies first skill DoT on targets
|Accursed||Abaddon the Lord of Avernus||(Skill 4) Does not automatically activate; Boosted ult can be activated while silenced (but not while stunned)|
|Armadon||Rigwarl the Bristleback||-|
|Behemoth||Raigor Stonehoof the Earthshaker||(Skill 4) No boosted ult effect|
|Devourer||Pudge the Butcher||(Skill 1) Deals Physical damage
Skill 4) Buffs Devourer based on channeling time
|Hammerstorm||Sven the Rogue Knight||(Skill 3) Instant cast time
(Skill 4) Cannot be purged
|Jeraziah||Purist Thunderwrath the Omniknight||(Skill 3) Does not reduce Attack Speed|
|Keeper of the Forest||Rooftrellen the Treant Protector||(Skill 2) Different skill from DotA counterpart|
|Legionnaire||Mogul Khan the Axe||(Skill 2) New skill: Terrifying Charge
(Skill 3) Guaranteed to proc at least every 12 hits taken
|Magmus||Crixalis the Sand King||(Skill 3) Not an Orb Effect (Attack Modifier); can be turned off|
|Pebbles||Tiny the Stone Giant||(Skill 3) New skill: Slab Skin
(Skill 4) No boosted ult effect
|Pestilence||Slardar the Slithereen Guard||-|
|Pharaoh||Rattletrap the Clockwerk Goblin||(Skill 4) Boosted ult grants version that also impacts ally heroes; Can keep original ult|
|Gladiator||Kunkka the Admiral||-|
|Tundra||Rexxar the Beastmaster||(Skill 3) New skill: Cold Shoulder|
|War Beast||Banehallow the Lycanthrope||(Skill 2) Reversed scaling on mana cost
(Skill 4) Grants Unitwalking
 New heroes
- Aluna - Similar skills to DotA "Windrunner"
- Arachna - Close relation to DotA "Drow Ranger" and "Netherdrake"
- The Chipper
- Dark Lady
- Forsaken Archer - Has an ability similar to DotA Gorgon's "Split Shot"
- Hellbringer - Similarities to DotA "Warlock"
- Kraken - Has abilities similar to DotA Tidehunter's "Gush"
- Madman - Has abilities similar to DotA Nerubian Weaver's "Shukuchi" and Troll Warlord's "Battle Trance"
- Puppet Master
- Predator - Similarities to DotA "Lifestealer"
- Rampage - Similarities to DotA "Barathrum" and has an ability similar to DotA Batrider's "Flaming Lasso"
- Scout - Has an ability similar to DotA Dwarven Sniper's "Assassinate"
- Silhouette - Has an ability similar to DotA Morphling's "Replicate"
- Tremble - Similarities to DotA "Broodmother"
|HoN Item||DotA Equivalent||Differences||Price|
|Abyssal Skull||Vladimir's Offering||2050|
|Acolyte's Staff||Mystic Staff||2700|
|Alchemist's Bones||Hand of Midas||Can store up to 2 charges|
Cannot be used on player-controlled creeps
|Amulet of Exile||Null Talisman||485|
|Apprentice's Robe||Robe of the Magi||450|
|Assassin's Shroud||Lothar's Edge||The recipe requires Broadsword instead of Claymore||3400|
|Axe of the Malphai||Messerschmidt's Reaver||3200|
|Barbed Armor||Blade Mail||Reflects 80% of damage for 5 seconds||2700|
|Barrier Idol||Khadgar's Pipe of Insight||3653|
|Bastard Sword||Claymore||This item no longer exists in HoN||1400|
|Behemoth's Heart||Heart of Tarrasque||+0.75% of Max Health regenerated per second||5500|
|Blessed Orb||Ultimate Orb||2100|
|Blood Chalice||Soul Ring||Recipe changed to Crushing Claws, Mark of the Novice, and Scarab|
Trades 150 health for 100 mana; mana gain is permanent
|Bolstering Armband||Belt of Giant Strength||450|
|Bound Eye||Gem of True Sight||700|
|Broadsword||Broadsword||Gives +19 damage||1300|
|Brutalizer||Cranium Basher||Recipe changed to Mighty Blade, Quickblade, and 1100 gold recipe||3100|
|Codex||Dagon||Recipe changed to Neophyte's Book, 2 Punchdaggers, and 1000 gold recipe||3000|
|Crushing Claws||Gauntlets of Strength||150|
|Daemonic Breast Plate||Assault Cuirass||5550|
|Doom Bringer||Divine Rapier||6200|
|Duck Boots||Slippers of Agility||150|
|Dust of Revelation||Dust of Appearance||Stacks in inventory||180|
|Elder Parasite||Mask of Madness||1900|
|Ghost Marchers||Phase Boots||On Use effect does not cancel upon item or skill use||1500|
|Flayer||Buriza-do Kyanon||This item no longer exists in HoN (replaced with upgradable Riftshards).||6250|
|Fleetfeet||Boots of Elvenskin||450|
|Frostburn||Sange and Yasha||Has a guaranteed stacking Movement Slow||4500|
|Frostfield Plate||Shiva's Guard||On Use attack projectile speed twice as fast||4700|
|Frostwolf's Skull||Eye of Skadi||Recipe changed to Icebrand, Blessed Orb, Glowstone, and 700 gold Recipe. |
Slow works with single-target skills
|Geometer's Bane||Manta Style||4850|
|Gloves of the Swift||Gloves of Haste||500|
|Guardian Ring||Ring of Protection||175|
|Halberd||Javelin||This item no longer exists in HoN||1500|
|Healing Potion||Healing Salve||100|
|Hellflower||Orchid Malevolence||On Use effect also Perplexes (Disable item use)|
Amplifies damage immediately
|Helm of the Black Legion||Vanguard||2225|
|Helm of the Victim||Helm of Iron Will||950|
|Homecoming Stone||Scroll of Town Portal||135|
|Hungry Spirit||Mask of Death||900|
|Icebrand||Sange||Has a guaranteed stacking Movement Slow||2250|
|Icon of the Goddess||Soul Booster||3300|
|Insanitarius||Armlet of Mordiggian||Recipe changed to Helm of the Victim, Gloves of the Swift, Steamstaff, and 500 gold Recipe. |
Stats equal to the sum of its parts
|Iron Buckler||Stout Shield||250|
|Iron Shield||Poor Man's Shield||550|
|Kuldra's Sheepstick||Guinsoo's Scythe of Vyse||5675|
|Lifetube||Ring of Health||875|
|Logger's Hatchet||Quelling Blade||225|
|Mana Battery||Magic Stick||Heals 10 Health and 15 Mana per charge||210|
|Mana Potion||Clarity Potion||50|
|Marchers||Boots of Speed||500|
|Mark of the Novice||Mantle of Intelligence||150|
|Mighty Blade||Ogre Axe||1000|
|Minor Totem||Ironwood Branch||53|
|Mock of Brilliance||Radiance||5150|
|Monkey Courier||Animal Courier||200|
|Mystic Vestments||Planeswalker's Cloak||400|
|Neophyte's Book||Staff of Wizardry||1000|
|Null Stone||Linken's Sphere||Recipe cost reduced to 1000|
Grants +10 Damage
|Nullfire Blade||Diffusal Blade||When upgraded, extra charges roll over, instead of resetting to 8||3300|
|Pickled Brain||Energy Booster||Cost reduced to 900||900|
|Plate Mail||Plate Mail||1400|
|Portal Key||Kelen's Dagger of Escape||Can be held by Andromeda (Vengeful Spirit) & Devourer (Butcher) |
Targeting beyond maximum range travels the maximum length
|Post Haste||Boots of Travel||After teleporting, applies a +200 Movement Speed bonus; dispelled on action||2700|
|Power Supply||Magic Wand||Recipe changed to Mana Battery, 2 Minor Totems, and 290 Gold recipe |
Heals 10 health and 15 mana per charge
|Pretenders Crown||Circlet of Nobility||185|
|Punchdagger||Blades of Attack||500|
|Puzzlebox||Necronomicon||Limited stock; 2 stacks initially, gaining 1 per 10 minutes, maximum of 9||2350|
|Quickblade||Blade of Alacrity||1000|
|Refreshing Ornament||Headdress of Rejuvenation||603|
|Restoration Stone||Refresher Orb||Refreshes item cooldown as well (except another Restoration Stone and Shrunken Head)||5300|
|Riftshards||Crystalys||Recipe cost changed to 950.
Can be upgraded 3 times.
|Ring of the Teacher||Ring of Basilius||500|
|Runed Cleaver||Battlefury||Recipe requires 2 Broadsword instead Broadsword and Bastard Sword||4350|
|Runes of the Blight||Ancient Tango of Essifation||90|
|Sacrificial Stone||Bloodstone||Grants bonus Max Health and Health Regeneration per charge||5050|
|Savage Mace||Monkey King Bar||Requires 2 Warhammer instead 2 HalberdProc does not work with illusions||5400|
|Shaman's Headdress||Hood of Defiance||2050|
|Shield of the Five||Nathrezim Buckler||803|
|Shrunken Head||Black King Bar||3900|
|Snake Bracelet||Talisman of Evasion||1800|
|Soulscream Ring||Wraith Band||460|
|Staff of the Master||Aghanim's Scepter||4300|
|Steamstaff||Quarterstaff||+2 damage, including all recipe items that require a Steamstaff||800|
|Stormspirit||Eul's Scepter of Divinity||2800|
|Sword of the High||Sacred Relic||Cost reduced to 3400||3400|
|Symbol of Rage||Satanic||6150|
|Tablet of Command||Force Staff||Recipe changed to Apprentice's Robe, Neophyte's Book, and 500 gold Recipe.||1950|
|Token of Life||Aegis of the Immortal||0|
|Trinket of Restoration||Ring of Regeneration||350|
|Void Talisman||Ghost Scepter||1500|
|Ward of Revelation||Sentry Wards||Sold in stacks of 1||200|
|Ward of Sight||Observer Wards||Sold in stacks of 1||200|
|Whispering Helm||Helm of the Dominator||Dominated creeps have a permanent life time.||1850|
|Winged Courier||Flying Courier||400|
 Exclusive Items
|Harkon's Blade||Unique to HoN||5100|
|Major Totem||Unique to HoN||540|
|Nome's Wisdom||Unique to HoN||2300|
|Plated Greaves||Unique to HoN||1503|
|Ring of Sorcery||Unique to HoN||1700|
|Spellshards||Unique to HoN||2575|
|Striders||Unique to HoN||800|
|Token of Sight||Unique to HoN||0|
|Token of Stealth||Unique to HoN||0|
|Ancient Janggo of Endurance||Unique to DotA||1725|
|Arcane Boots||Unique to DotA||1500|
|Orb of Venom||Unique to DotA||600|
|Ethereal Blade||Unique to DotA||5260|
|Medalion of Courage||Unique to DotA||1075|
|Smoke of Deceit||Unique to DotA||200|
|Urn of Shadows||Unique to DotA||875|
One of the greatest changes is the way shops are handled. Every base now contains only one building where all items and recipes can be purchased. The shop can be viewed by clicking the shop while standing in the fountain of the allied base, or by pressing the B key (by default).
- Basic items can be found in the left column, recipes in the right column.
- The lower left two shops are special shops located in the jungle.
- It is possible to buy parts of the recipe by clicking the recipe you want. A pop-up window will show the required parts, which can be purchased immediately (instead of going to the right basic item shop first).
 Other differences between DotA and HoN
- The Sentinel and Scourge factions are equivalent to the Legion and Hellbourne factions, respectively.
- Games created by players are remotely hosted on S2Games' servers. This means that everyone will experience the same latency, assuming everyone has the same connection and are equally far from the server. The game is not dependant on the prescence of the host.
- The abilities of every hero are controlled by pressing the Q, W, E and R keys (by default). Additional skills (i.e. Wildsoul's War Cry) are extended to D, F and G if necessary.
- Players who leave the game during play can reconnect within five minutes. While the player remains disconnected, the hero will be shared by all remaining players, as in DotA. If the five minutes limit passes, the hero will be terminated. Terminated hero's gold will be split amonst remaining teammates and Items will drop in faction's pool.
- Game statistics are automatically collected after playing a game and can be viewed from the Match Stats panel.
- Health bars can be switched on by pressing the apostrophe ' key or permanently by selecting the option from the Interface Menu.
- Magic Armor is calculated the same way as armor, rather than a flat reduction.
- Cast Speed modifiers are added to the game. Cast Speed modifiers can speed up or slow down the casting animation for some skills.
 Orb Effects
Orb Effects are known in Heroes of Newerth as modifiers. There are two different types of modifiers:
- Attack Modifiers are buffs that do not stack with other attack modifiers of a different type. Some examples include Frostwolf's Skull (Eye of Skadi), Shield Breaker (Stygian Desolator), Lifesteal items except for Abyssal Skull, and Accursed's Sear (Abaddon the Lord of Avernus' Frostmourne).
- Exclusive Modifiers are buffs that do not stack with buffs of the same type, but do stack with buffs of different types. These modifiers include Mana Burn, Bash, and Chain Lightning.
 Movespeed Modifiers (Haste and Slow)
According to a thread on the official forums here...
Movement Speed calculations differ between DotA and HoN.
In DotA, all modifiers are added together and then applied to a hero's movespeed. In HoN, modifiers are applied seperately and stack upon eachother.
For Example, lets say you have a buff that gives you 20% move speed, and then get hit by a debuff that slows by 50%.
- In DotA: The system adds together the two modifiers and applies them to base move speed. That means that you would have 70% movespeed.
- 100% movespeed * (1.2 - .5) = 70% movespeed.
- In HoN: The system applies the modifiers seperately. That means that you would have 60% movespeed.
- 100% movespeed * 1.2 * .5 = 60% movespeed.
Note that movespeed reduction and movement slow are not the same thing. Attack Slow also work a similar way.
Another important note: The haste rune provides max (522) movespeed, and units affected by it cannot be slowed.